We talk about what we look for in a sewing machine for piecing, and also different ways to quilt antique or vintage quilt tops. This episode is brought to you by QT Fabrics!
The quilt hanging behind us is Lynn’s vintage quilt, “Grandmother’s Flower Garden”.
Tips and links for this episode:
- Things to consider when picking a sewing machine for piecing:
- Extension table
- Needle up/down selector
- Knee lift
- Separate motor for the bobbin winder, so you won’t wear out the primary motor by winding bobbins
- A thread cutter, either automatic or the blade mounted near the needle. Or you can get a ThreadCutterz to mount on the side of the machine.
- Adjustable needle position. Check out Susan Cleveland’s video on why this matters in piecing!
- #BobbinChicken and #ThreadChicken is a thing! Come play on Instagram.
- Sharon Schamber has a video on hoopless hand quilting
- Marie Kerr has a travelling exhibit of antique quilt tops quilted by modern longarmers called “Quilt as Desired“
- Today’s episode was brought to you by QT Fabrics, so you can imagine and create!
- Come chat in our What’s Up Stitches? group on Facebook!
- Thanks to our production partners 77peaches enterprises and Big Think Productions.
- Audio only versions of the show are available in the Hip to be a Square quilting podcast feed.
- The Stitch TV Show mugs are available from Lasting Impressions Atlanta!
- Our next Virtual Stitch-In is Friday April 13 at 7pm US Eastern.
- If you enjoyed it, help spread the word on your blog, or share on social media and tag us with #TheStitchTVShow!