On August 13 we’re going to officially start the Lucky Star Quilt Along! This was one of our original patterns back in 2016 and it’s been a favorite of ours for the flexibility in design and use of 2 1/2″ strips, which is a common precut in the quilting industry. So common that just about every quilter we talk to has a jelly roll they love, but are afraid to use. Now’s your chance to unwrap it and make something beautiful!
The pattern comes with three sizes of quilts – couch (74 x 74″), twin (74 x 92″), or queen (92 x 92″). With a standard jelly roll with 42 strips, you can make either the lap or the twin quilt; to make the queen size you’ll need some extra strips, but fear not! Our first video in this quilt along will be a Shop My Stash to give you tips on choosing fabrics to accompany a fabric line. Below you’ll see the schedule for the whole quilt-along; we’ll finish up in plenty of time for Christmas gifting or for a fun fall quilt for your bed:
- Aug 6: Introduction
- Aug 13: Picking Fabrics, with a “Shop My Stash” video on choosing fabrics to complement commercial line or jelly roll
- Aug 20: Cutting, with a video on tips for cutting strips
- Aug 27: Stitching Blocks, with a video on tackling the (dreaded) sew and flip style of piecing
- Sep 3: Piecing the Top, with a video on mitering borders (fear not, there’s instructions for finishing the borders without mitering if you really can’t stand that technique!)
- Sep 10: Selecting a Quilt Design and Quilting
I love the spinning stars in the middle, and Lynn loves the piano key border and fought to keep it when I almost eliminated it in an earlier draft. Don’t tell her but I think she might be right.
Click through to our shop to see the pattern and the fabric requirements to see if you want to dive in and participate; on the pattern page, click on “Description” to see the fabric requirements. The videos in the series will be freely available even if you’re not participating in the quilt along, and we’d love to see what you make!